Threads

A flexible every-2-3-days workout commitment

7 tweets · January 2023 · 31 likes · 0 retweets · read on Twitter

new plan: 📆 work out every 2-3 days, without fail 🏋️‍♀️ gym with barbells if there's one convenient, otherwise bodyweight (I've found ways to load enough using pistol squats & handstand pushups) 🧘‍♀️ if I'm too sick/something to do a strength workout, do 20+ mins of yoga and log that

context: after excellent success with working out regularly Oct 2021 - May 2022, and seeing real gains in my abilities and physique (super motivating), I fell off the wagon when I went travelling and it was hard to find gyms and I was sick or jetlagged a bunch

2-3 days is a satisfying cadence for me, because there's a sense in which on the 2 day I am like "today could be workout day... but doesn't have to be..." but then on day 3 it's like, "okay for real no excuses today" gives both flexibility & clarity

if I were in a situation where I had a recurring weekly schedule I might prefer to pick which days in advance, like MWF or TThSa or something ....but I really really don't at this phase in my life, so the flexible version seems better

this is a bit like the principle "don't miss two days in a row" critter.blog/2022/03/18/nev…

I'm excited to do some version of this indefinitely, but ofc shit happens so I guess maybe the final piece of the plan: 🤔 if I ever let that 3rd day pass with no workout, I'll append to this thread with a reflection on what happened, and instantiate a new intention going forward

Let 3rd day pass with no workout. Part of the issue is I haven't had a clear go/no-go time to work out. So, new intention: I'm going to work out first thing after putting my contacts in on those mornings—default day 2, unless plans that morning prohibit.

Malcolm Ocean 🏴‍☠️ @Malcolm_Ocean ·

Broke my workout streak? GOOD An opportunity to practice getting back into it ...and to make art of my learning process. youtu.be/UbgtY398oUs