Threads

Ranting about microwave knobs and undesigned products

8 tweets · October 2021 · 32 likes · 2 retweets · read on Twitter

2nd episode of the What If It Were Good Tho? show now live. I don't know if anyone wants to hear 17 minutes of me ranting about why microwaves should have knobs, but if you do, it's here: youtube.com/watch?v=qy6BOQ…

I'm not being self-deprecating with the previous comment—I make these videos primarily for my own catharsis, and any benefit gleaned by anyone else is bonus. Having said that! Someone apparently got a lot out of my previous one 😮

It delights me enormously to have this outlet for my frustration with how things aren't designed. How afaict nobody even asks "what if it were good tho?" about most aspects of their products. Part of what I'm enjoying is the low production quality. One shot, no edits. No nada.

Despite YouTube becoming a place where incredibly-well-produced, mixed, master, scripted or professionally-improvised content is now hosted... ...you can actually still just record a video of yourself ranting and upload it!

More on knobs on microwaves:

Malcolm Ocean 🏴‍☠️ @Malcolm_Ocean ·

@emadabdulrahim @jorilallo YESSSSS. As far as I'm concerned every microwave without a dial is as absurd as having to program the temperature into your faucet using digital buttons every time you want water. The design trend against knobs towards buttons is one of the worst basic UX fails of all time.

knobfeel (I riff on this in the video) youtube.com/watch?v=Vm2eaK…

More on my exploration of the "What If It Were Good Tho>" concept:

Malcolm Ocean 🏴‍☠️ @Malcolm_Ocean ·

boom, purchased whatifitweregoodtho.com 💥 for my design rants but currently... it's bad! it's just a parked domain. so... what if whatifitweregoodtho.com were good tho? twitter.com/visakanv/statu…

Thread on the lack of design in everything:

Malcolm Ocean 🏴‍☠️ @Malcolm_Ocean ·

Almost nothing is actually designed.